Saturday, November 15, 2008

Winter

I haven't posted to the blog in a while, having lost some motivation for doing anything other than the minimum. I'm at day 129 in-country and a general lassitude has set in over the past few weeks. I have been seeing a lot of patients, which keeps me busy, but a new conflict with the local Army chain of command has left me slightly demoralized. I won't get into it in this public forum but this is the third or fourth "conflict" I have had with a group of Army officers and senior enlisted.

At every turn it seems that I am reminded that the culture of the USAF and the US Army are very different. Someone who would know emailed me and said the air cavalry are "all about butt sniffing and dick-measuring". I don't play those games very well, so that puts me at odds with the senior butt-sniffers on this FOB.

Luckily, my true chain of command back at Bagram has my back and they have supported my decisions and the manner in which I have executed the combat stress control and behavioral health mission here in this region of Afghanistan. The Army sees me as just another Captain who is at their disposal, while the Air Force sees me as one of a few psychologists who have specific and clearly defined roles in this theater. I like this about the Air Force—they are more likely to value you based on your skill-set and treat you accordingly, while the Army primarily values you as a body, or a slot-filler, and any treatment you receive is directly proportionate to your rank.

I still feel positive about my ongoing work with Soldiers. There are a lot of good guys here who have very stressful jobs. I do what I can to help them; regardless of whether that is treatment in country or getting the out of here. The ongoing combat in Afghanistan is off the radar screen of American media—there are still firefights and mortar barrages and guys sleeping out in the cold and the dirt. They say the winter is hard on the Afghans but I am observing that combat operations in the cold are hard on anyone. From what I read in the newspapers, the generals want to wage a busy winter campaign here. Winter isn't even here yet, but it is getting cold fast.




No comments: