Monday, April 28, 2008

Words say it all

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I thought it was interesting so I will revisit it. We were told to drill on these “15 phrases” so we know them. What I found so fascinating was what the actual phrases say about our current military operations in OEF and OIF, mostly OIF. They sound like phrases from all the old WWII movies I saw when I was a kid—delivered in German accented English. I saw some irony in it, but I must be fair and point out that the phrases include the phrases “excuse me I’m sorry” and "do you need help", etc? I like the last one... There's so much that's funny about this, but I better keep my mouth shut--

Partial list of the “15 Common Phrases”
Stop!
Do you have an identification card?
What is your name?
Let me search your car.
Hands up!
Drop your weapons!
Put your weapons down.
Do you need help?
Do you need medical attention?
Excuse me I’m sorry
You can leave.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jason,
I am laughing so hard right now! Keep writing! We love you!
Lisa Riz

The Left Captain said...

A couple people found humor in these phrases, but not too many. The military isn't big on irony.