Sunday, October 5, 2008

Football

Another convoy, another five day trip to a different camp. I rode with the route clearing package-- a huge convoy of vehicles led by specially designed vehicles that find and either safely detonate or deactivate IEDs. These are National Guard guys and I like them. The huge convoy rolled for three hours to the next FOB and then stopped on the road while my vehicle drove a side road to drop me off inside the perimeter of the FOB. Not VIP treatment but as close as it gets for me...

This is my second trip here, so they know me. I get to stay in the same room, the same cot. Not much happens. I'll make myself known, walk around and be social, give the people who need or want to speak with me the chance to come out of the woodwork before I leave.

This afternoon I sat down in the MWR in an overstuffed chair and watched 45 minutes of the Colorado Buffaloes getting beaten by Texas (recorded and re-broadcast on the Armed Forces Network) and then I watched Sportscenter. It was nice. It felt "normal" but it left me feeling a little sad, a little wistful for October back home and watching football on Saturdays or Sundays.

I brought two novels, a non-fiction book on parenting, a stack of magazines, and a handful of movies. I should be able to settle into a schedule of sleeping in until 7am, drinking coffee (I also brought a pound of coffee), working out, and cleaning up by late morning. My "business hours" will run from lunch to late afternoon and then I might sneak in another workout, eat dinner, and retire to a night of reading and DVDs.

Not bad work if you can get it eh?

No comments: